Jamaica, Queens, NY
Rochdale Village, Inc. Power is a total energy 21 MW facility that generates all the electrical power, heating, air-conditioning and domestic hot water services for a residential co-op and two shopping malls that is home to nearly 25,000 residents.
The facility originally had four replicate Riley-Union Iron Works MH type packaged boilers that went into operation approximately 1963. Each boiler is a natural circulation, “A” type, superheated, pressurized design, natural gas fired unit firing natural gas. Each boiler was originally designed to produce 100,000 pph of steam at 650 psig and 650 °F at the superheater outlet. Each boiler had two burners and a packaged fin tube economizer.
Helfrich Brothers Boiler Works was selected as the EPC contractor for the repowering project. Three of the four package boilers were completely re-tubed with many furnace design changes implemented.
A fifth unit was added to the plant as part of the repower project. HBBW installed the cold iron piping and the fifth boiler.
HBBW Scope of Work
- Re-design the outer casing of the superheater side to a membrane wall with side walls extended out to fully enclose the superheater
- Re-design of the rear furnace wall to membrane fin design
- Thermal analysis of the boiler to establish temperature, pressure and flow profiles for the steam and flue gas paths
- Stress analysis of membrane walls
- Installation/arrangement and shop fabrication drawings
- Complete re-tubing of the boiler, superheater, and economizer. Only steam and mud drums remained.
- Material procurement
- Steam drum assessment/inspection
- All demolition and installation
- Insulation and lagging